This Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Onion is SO easy that it’s barely a recipe – but SO good that it’s like eating a gourmet grilled cheese.
It’s a delicious twist on your favorite classic comfort food, and the perfect easy lunch or dinner for adults and kids alike.
These Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Onion sandwiches are present in some of the best memories from my childhood. They remind me of lazy Saturday afternoons in our sunny kitchen, smelling the delicious grilled bread, waiting to bite into a crispy grilled cheese.
The sweet tomatoes are delicious with the sharp old cheddar and the onions add a bite that I loved, even as a child. Wash it all down with a big ol’ glass of milk, and this is comfort food at its best.
Why grilled cheese with mayo? – you might ask… because it’s just SO delicious! The mayo adds a subtle richness and fullness to grilled cheese that nothing else can. If you’ve never tried it, it’s time.
As much as this grilled cheese with tomato and onion feels like comfort food, it also feels a bit like a gourmet grilled cheese. Don’t underestimate it! 🙂
Let me know what you think!
Grilled Cheese With Tomato and Onion – Step-by-Step Instructions
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese With Tomato and Onion
Before you start to assemble your sandwiches, heat a frying pan (preferably cast iron – but it doesn’t have to be) over low heat so it can warm up.
Then spread mayo over four pieces of bread. On two pieces, arrange cheese (I love old cheddar for this sandwich), slices of tomato, slices of onion (red or white is fine) and a generous dusting of salt and pepper.
Top with the other slices of bread (with mayo on the inside).
Melt a teaspoon of butter in your frying pan and place the sandwiches on it. Then use another teaspoon of butter to spread on the stops of the sandwiches.
I like to cook grilled cheese slowly, so the cheese gets nice and melty. It only takes a few extra minutes, but it’s so good!
Cook until bottom is golden brown, then carefully flip sandwiches and cook the other side until it’s golden brown too.
Let them sit for just a minute so the cheese isn’t too runny.
Grilled Cheese With Tomato and Onion
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tsp mayo
- 100 grams sliced cheddar cheese (especially old cheddar) (how much cheese you need will depend on how big your slices of bread are)
- 1 tomato, cut into slices (preferably a plum variety without much juice)
- 1/4 red onion (sliced thinly)
- 2 tsp butter (divided)
- Heat a frying pan (preferably cast iron) over low heat while you prep your sandwiches.
- Spread mayo over four slices of bread. Top two pieces with sliced cheese, tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Top with other pieces of bread (with mayo facing in).
- Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in frying pan and place sandwiches on top of it. Spread remaining butter on tops of sandwiches. Cook over low heat, until bottom piece of bread is lightly browned, then carefully flip over sandwiches and cook until other piece of bread is browned. Remove from pan and let rest for just a minute so cheese isn't too runny.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Questions and Answers:
Can you make grilled cheese with mayo?
Yes you can make grilled cheese with mayo, and it’s SO delicious. You should try it and let me know what you think!
Is grilled cheese with mayo good?
Grilled cheese with mayo is delicious and I rarely make grilled cheese without it now.
What kind of cheese is best for grilled cheese?
I think this is largely a matter of personal preference. Some people recommend using cheese that melts really well, like provolone, or mozzarella. This can be delicious, of course.
But I also find that cheddar melts well and gives a bigger flavour kick, so that’s what I used in this recipe.
It really depends on what else you’re putting in your sandwich, and which type of cheese will compliment those flavours.
What do you like to put in a grilled cheese sandwich? Let me know in the comments below! I’m always looking for new ideas! 🙂