This Easy Cranberry Sauce is both sweet and tart – exactly the way cranberry sauce should be. With just three ingredients, it’s almost as easy as opening a can – but a million times more tasty. Pretty easy on the wallet, too!
When I was a kid I wasn’t sold on cranberry sauce. Every time we had turkey dinner my mom pestered me to try her homemade sauce, but I just wasn’t interested. Then, sometime in my 20s, I did a complete 180 out of the blue. Now I love cranberry sauce, and have been known to go pick wild cranberries just to make it.
Which brings me to another great point – cranberries are usually pretty cheap in the cooler months. But where I live (and maybe where you live) they’re also available for FREE to anyone interested in getting a little fresh air on a crisp fall afternoon. And those cranberries – the ones you pick yourself – will make the best cranberry sauce around. 🙂
You can easily make this sauce with frozen cranberries if you’re craving it at a different time of year.
(PS – check out super helpful posts about stocking up: Stock Your Pantry on a Dime , Stock Your Freezer on a Dime, and Stock your Fridge on a Dime.
And feel free to make this Easy Cranberry Sauce ahead of time – it lasts quite a while in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
Step-by-step instructions and photos are below the recipe.
This Easy Cranberry Sauce is both sweet and tart - exactly the way cranberry sauce should be. With just three ingredients, it's almost as easy as opening a can - but a million times more tasty. Pretty easy on the wallet, too!
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (or frozen)
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp orange juice (optional but tasty; peach schnapps and orange blossom water are also delicious)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized pot.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring often, until berries release their juices and start to bubble and froth.
- Uncover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, until thickened - about five more minutes. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
- Make this ahead of time if you like. This keeps well in the fridge for quite a long time. Enjoy! 🙂